Types of Anemia
The severity depends on the particular type:
The types of anemia include:
- Iron deficiency anemia. Anemia is caused by an iron deficiency, which means that few red blood cells can be produced.
- Aplastic anemia
- Megaloblastic anemia. Immature red blood cells are released too early, with too few mature red blood cells being created.
- Pernicious Anemia (Vitamin B12 deficiency)
- Hemolytic anemia. Red blood cells are destroyed too early by some process.
- Myelophthisic anemia (Myelophthisis) (bone marrow disorder)
Rare genetic subtypes of anemia include:
- Sickle cell anemia. An inherited type of malformation of red blood cells (wrongly shaped) causing a particular type of anemia.
- Thalassemia. Another rare inherited type of anemia.
- Hereditary spherocytosis
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.