Asthma is a chronic lung disease that involves inflammation and narrowing of the airways. This results in symptoms such as wheezing, coughing and shortness of breath. Asthma can affect anyone of any age and the severity of symptoms varies greatly amongst individuals.
Not everyone who presents with symptoms of asthma will actually end up with a diagnosis of asthma because there are other conditions that may have some or all of the same symptoms, so it is important to see a medical professional for a complete check-up.
There is no cure for asthma but proper diagnosis and management of the condition can allow for normal activity and quality of life for many individuals.
- Allergies: Allergies occur when the immune system responds to a substance. Common examples include dust allergies, pollen allergies (causing hay fever ... More on Allergies »
- GERD: GERD, or Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease, is chronic disorder of recurring episodes of reflux and heartburn. Symptoms include chronic reflux ... More on GERD »
- Sinusitis: Sinusitis is the inflammation of the areas called the “sinuses”, which are cavities in the facial area, near the nose ... More on Sinusitis »
- Bronchospasm: Bronchospasm is a muscular spasm of the bronchioles in the lungs, causing breathing difficulty. Causes of bronchospasm include asthma (asthma ... More on Bronchospasm »
- Viral Infections: Viral infections are caused by viruses, which are tiny microbes that spread in the body. Viruses are actually made up ... More on Viral Infections »
- Bronchiolitis: Bronchiolitis is an inflammation or infection of the bronchioles (airways in the lungs) that can be very serious. It is ... More on Bronchiolitis »
- COPD: COPD, or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, is a chronic lung disorder that is usually progressive. Chronic bronchitis and emphysema are ... More on COPD »
- Emphysema: Emphysema is a chronic lung disease that is a type of COPD. It is a disorder of the small air ... More on Emphysema »
- Bronchitis: Bronchitis is the inflammation of the airways leading to the lungs, called the “bronchi”. The term “bronchitis” is usually used ... More on Bronchitis »
- Chronic Bronchitis: Chronic Bronchitis is a chronic, severe lung disease that is part of COPD. Chronic bronchitis is a long-term severe ... More on Chronic Bronchitis »
- Shortness of Breath
- Dry Cough
- Respiratory Symptoms
- Breathing Difficulty
- Runny Nose
- Rapid Breathing
- Excessive Sweating
- Sleeping Difficulty
- Concentration Difficulty
Related Disease Topics
- Viral Infections
- Chronic Bronchitis
- Allergic Disorders
- Allergic Rhinitis
- Hay Fever
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.