Thoracic Outlet Syndrome: Overview
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) is a nerve compression syndrome affecting the ulnar nerve of the arm. Sometimes the blood vessels are also compressed. Symptoms usually occur in the hands and fingers, including hand pain, finger pain, paresthesias (tingling sensations, burning sensations, numbness), and similar symptoms. Finger tingling and paresthesias may affect only the smallest two fingers (ring finger and pinky finger), or may affect the whole hand.
- Hand Pain: Hand pain is most likely to result from some kind of physical injury to the hand. A fall onto an ... More on Hand Pain »
- Finger Pain: Finger pain is a common symptom that has various causes. Physical causes include a simple injury or a disorder such ... More on Finger Pain »
- Paresthesias: Paresthesia is the general name for abnormal sensations. People use a variety of terms for these sensations, such as: tingling ... More on Paresthesias »
- Tingling: Tingling is a nerve sensation symptom that can affect various body areas. Common types are tingling toes and tingling fingers ... More on Tingling »
- Burning sensation: Burning sensations refer to a skin sensation (rather than actual “burns”), which people may describe also with terms such as ... More on Burning sensation »
- Numbness: Numbness is the loss of nerve sensation in a region. Total numbness is the complete loss of sensation, but also ... More on Numbness »
- Tingling Fingers: A tingling feeling in the fingers refers to that kind of burning sensation, half-numbness, sometimes called "pins-and-needles ... More on Tingling Fingers »
- Ring Finger: The ring finger is the second smallest finger of the hand. The ring finger is innervated by two different nerves ... More on Ring Finger »
- Little Finger: The little finger, also called the “pinky finger” or “baby finger”, is the smallest of the five fingers. It is ... More on Little Finger »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.