Chronic Headaches Overview
Chronic headache conditions are those where a headache recurs. A headache that occurs daily is called a Chronic Daily Headache (CDH). Long-lasting headaches, worsening headaches, or severe headaches, are not usually what is meant by “chronic” headaches.
Some of the more common recurring headache conditions include: Migraine (including various subtypes of episodic migraines), Tension headaches, Cluster headaches, Muscle contraction headaches, Neck muscle headaches, and Vascular headaches. There are also headaches related to work activity (e.g. eyestrain), recurring headache reactions to substances (e.g. alcohol, caffeine), and also chronic head pain syndromes.
- Migraine: Migraine refers to a chronic headache condition, which usually recurs over time. Migraines vary with people, ranging from a headache
... More on Migraine »
- Alcoholism: Alcoholism is the abuse of alcohol due to a chronic addiction to alcohol. Drinking a few drinks to cope with
... More on Alcoholism »
- Diabetic Headaches: Diabetes can cause a headache in a number of ways. Headache can be a common symptom of undiagnosed diabetes: headaches
... More on Diabetic Headaches »
- Hangover: Hangover is the after effects from alcohol intoxication, typically occurring in the morning following an evening of alcohol consumption. Symptoms
... More on Hangover »
- Neuralgia: Neuralgia is a general term meaning nerve pain. Milder nerve pain sensations such as tingling or burning sensations are called
... More on Neuralgia »
- Temporal Arteritis: Temporal Arteritis is a painful condition affecting the arteries in the scalp and forehead. The cause is inflammation of the
... More on Temporal Arteritis »
- Trigeminal Neuralgia: Trigeminal Neuralgia is a disorder where nerve pain (neuralgia) affects the facial nerves, causing face pain. It is also called
... More on Trigeminal Neuralgia »
- Sinusitis: Sinusitis is the inflammation of the areas called the “sinuses”, which are cavities in the facial area, near the nose
... More on Sinusitis »
- Headache: Everyone is familiar with a simple headache, which is annoying but disappears after a few hours. There are many other
... More on Headache »
- Head Pain: Head pain often refers to uncommon pain of the head region. The description here excludes the more common types of pain
... More on Head Pain »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.