Constipation is difficulty with bowel movements such as due to hard stool. Constipation does not only refer to the total absence of stool, but also includes abnormally small stool, straining with bowel movements, infrequent bowel movements, or other bowel difficulty. Causes may include dehydration, fecal impaction, and various gastrointestinal disorders. Simple cases of occasional constipation are quite common, but it is also possible to have chronic constipation, which can cause weight loss and other lifestyle issues. Although not common, there are some life-threatening causes of constipation. Surprisingly, constipation may also cause diarrhea (or fecal incontinence) as fluid leaks around a blockage, so both constipation and diarrhea can occur together.
- Dehydration: Dehydration is a lack of adequate fluid in the body. Dehydration is a dangerous complication of various infections, and can ... More on Dehydration »
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: Gastrointestinal Disorders are any disorder of the stomach, intestines, or other parts of the digestive system. Common examples include gastroenteritis ... More on Gastrointestinal Disorders »
- Fecal Incontinence: Fecal incontinence is the leakage of feces from the anus due to difficulty with defecation (leakage of urine is called ... More on Fecal Incontinence »
- Colon Cancer: Colon cancer is a cancerous tumor in the colon, also known as the bowel or the large intestine. Colon cancer ... More on Colon Cancer »
- Stress: Stress is the general condition of emotional or physical stress. This condition can have real physical effects on the body ... More on Stress »
- Alcoholism: Alcoholism is the abuse of alcohol due to a chronic addiction to alcohol. Drinking a few drinks to cope with ... More on Alcoholism »
- Medication side-effect: Many medications can have side-effects that are unwanted. For example, a prescription drug might cause nausea or dizziness in ... More on Medication side-effect »
- Hemorrhoids: Hemorrhoids are a disorder of the rectum, where enlarged blood vessels protrude from the rectum out of the anus. Common ... More on Hemorrhoids »
- Anal Fissure: Anal fissure is a tear in the anal membrane, usually causing anal bleeding. The bright color of the blood is ... More on Anal Fissure »
- Proctitis: Proctitis is the medical name for rectal inflammation or infection of the rectum. The rectum is the internal passage between ... More on Proctitis »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.