Diarrhea has many possible causes, of which the most likely is probably infectious gastroenteritis, causing diarrhea often with nausea and vomiting. But there are various other causes of acute diarrhea, and chronic ongoing diarrhea also has various chronic disorders as its cause. More specific types of diarrheal symptoms include soft stool and bloody diarrhea. Because of fluid loss from diarrhea, is important to monitor for complications such as dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, as well as treating the underlying cause.
- Gastroenteritis: Gastroenteritis is a very common condition of inflammation or infection of the digestive tract. In common usage, it is often ... More on Gastroenteritis »
- Dehydration: Dehydration is a lack of adequate fluid in the body. Dehydration is a dangerous complication of various infections, and can ... More on Dehydration »
- Infectious Diarrhea: Infectious Diarrhea refers to a variety of different infectious causes of a diarrheal illness. The most common is a viral infection ... More on Infectious Diarrhea »
- Fecal Incontinence: Fecal incontinence is the leakage of feces from the anus due to difficulty with defecation (leakage of urine is called ... More on Fecal Incontinence »
- Stress: Stress is the general condition of emotional or physical stress. This condition can have real physical effects on the body ... More on Stress »
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: Gastrointestinal Disorders are any disorder of the stomach, intestines, or other parts of the digestive system. Common examples include gastroenteritis ... More on Gastrointestinal Disorders »
- Alkalosis: Alkalosis is a disorder where the blood is too alkaline (too low in acidity; low Ph level). The opposite of ... More on Alkalosis »
- Poisoning: Poisoning, or toxicity, is the general category of poisoning from any type of substance. Poisons may be ingested (eaten), injected ... More on Poisoning »
- Ciguatera Poisoning: Ciguatera poisoning is food poisoning from eating certain large reef fish. Ciguatera builds up in the systems of fish and ... More on Ciguatera Poisoning »
- Botulism: Botulism is a very dangerous type of food poisoning that causes symptoms quite different from many common types of food ... More on Botulism »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.