Dizziness is a balance symptom (or circulatory symptom) where a person feels unsteady or faint. They may feel disoriented and unbalanced. It must be distinguished from similar symptoms such as giddiness, lightheadedness, faintness, and vertigo. Dizziness differs from vertigo, which is the more severe sensation of moving or that the room is spinning. There are many possible causes of dizziness ranging from minor problems (e.g. motion sickness, alcohol, etc.) to extremely severe disorders of the heart and lungs (causing inadequate blood oxygenation). Ear disorders such as an ear infection can cause dizziness. Meniere’s Disease is a chronic ear disorder causing episodic dizziness and vertigo. Low blood pressure disorders can cause dizziness and fainting. Psychological causes of dizziness include anxiety and panic attacks (hyperventilation). There are many other possible causes. Dizziness can be a medical emergency, as it may indicate brain conditions such as stroke. Seek immediate professional diagnosis of any dizziness symptoms.
- Vertigo: Vertigo is the sensation that the room is spinning and of being out of balance. It is a more severe ... More on Vertigo »
- Motion Sickness: Motion sickness is a feeling of nausea and vomiting caused by travel in a moving vehicle. Symptoms may result from ... More on Motion Sickness »
- Alcoholism: Alcoholism is the abuse of alcohol due to a chronic addiction to alcohol. Drinking a few drinks to cope with ... More on Alcoholism »
- Ear Disorders: Ear disorders are disorders of the physical ear, and may also include hearing disorders and balance disorders. Ear disorders may ... More on Ear Disorders »
- Ear Infection: An ear infection can affect one or both ears. There are different types of ear infection depending on the exact ... More on Ear Infection »
- Meniere’s Disease: Meniere’s Disease is a chronic ear disorder that causes hearing loss and balance problems. Symptoms include progressive hearing loss ... More on Meniere’s Disease »
- Psychological Disorders: Psychological disorders are mental health disorders such as anxiety disorders, emotional disorders, personality disorders, and so on. They are generally ... More on Psychological Disorders »
- Panic Attack: A panic attack is an episode of severe anxiety due to social anxiety or other irrational fears. Milder cases are ... More on Panic Attack »
- Medical Emergency Conditions: A medical emergency requires immediate professional medical care, with the calling of ambulance or other emergency services. Emergency first aid ... More on Medical Emergency Conditions »
- Stroke: A stroke is a brain event that is a medical emergency. If you are concerned that you or someone with ... More on Stroke »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.