Types of Finger Pain
Which Fingers? It matters whether it is the larger fingers or the smaller fingers! And the thumb has different causes too.
- Pain in one finger
- Pain in multiple fingers
- Pain in the large fingers (pointer finger and middle finger) and/or thumb pain. This might indicate: carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Pain in small fingers (the “pinky” finger and “ring” finger). This might indicate an ulnar nerve disorder rather than carpal tunnel syndrome.
Painful Fingers: See the details for pain in any of the five fingers:
- Thumb pain
- Index finger pain
- Middle finger pain
- Ring finger pain
- Little finger pain (pinky pain)
Which part of the finger? Where exactly is the pain?
- Finger muscle pain
- Knuckle pain
- Fingertip pain
- Fingernail pain
Unilateral versus Bilateral: Is it the fingers of one hand or both hands?
- Finger Pain in one hand (unilateral finger pain)
- Finger pain in left hand
- Finger pain in right hand
- Finger Pain in both hands (bilateral finger pain)
Age and Gender for Finger Pain: Consider the patient’s age and their demographic. Are any of these descriptions more accurate?
- Finger pain in children
- Finger pain in adults
- Finger pain during pregnancy
- Finger pain in seniors or elderly
- Finger pain during menstruation
- Finger aching pain
- Mild finger pain
- Shooting finger pain
- Severe finger pain
- Sharp finger pain
- Dull finger pain
- Numbing finger pain
- Diffuse finger pain
- Penetrating finger pain
- Radiating finger pain
Onset of the Pain: Is the finger pain a new symptom? Or has the finger pain been going on for days? Have you had it before? Does the pain come and go?
- Sudden finger pain
- Acute finger pain
- Continuous finger pain
- Constant finger pain
- Chronic finger pain
- Finger pain for weeks
- Recurring finger pain
- Intermittent finger pain (comes and goes)
- Progressively worse finger pain
Factors that Exacerbate Finger Pain: Is the pain affected by time of day? By exercise or exertion?
- Finger pain on flexing fingers
- Finger pain on gripping
- Finger pain worse in the morning
- Finger pain worse in the evening
- Finger pain at night
- Finger pain during sleep
- Finger pain worse on exertion
- Finger pain when lying down
- Finger pain when lifting arm
Type of Painful Body Tissue: What anatomic feature of the hand seems painful?
- Finger joint pain (knuckle pain)
- Finger muscle pain
- Finger soft tissue pain
- Finger bone pain
- Pain inside the Finger
- Finger skin pain
• • •
Back to: « Finger Pain
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.