Everyone is familiar with a simple headache, which is annoying but disappears after a few hours. There are many other types of headache and there are many different causes of headache. Causes of headache range from simple conditions that are mostly harmless (e.g. common headache, tension headache, etc.) to some more serious causes of headache (e.g. migraine, fever), up to some very severe and life-threatening possible diseases (e.g. stroke, concussion, brain tumor, etc.). See your doctor promptly for a full diagnosis of any headache symptom. Seek emergency medical care if any of the dangerous causes are suspected.
- Migraine: Migraine refers to a chronic headache condition, which usually recurs over time. Migraines vary with people, ranging from a headache ... More on Migraine »
- Stroke: A stroke is a brain event that is a medical emergency. If you are concerned that you or someone with ... More on Stroke »
- Concussion: Concussion is a brain injury causing a temporary loss of consciousness. The usual cause is a brain or head injury ... More on Concussion »
- Brain tumor: A brain tumor may indicate a benign tumor in the brain or some form of malignant brain cancer. It is ... More on Brain tumor »
- Medication side-effect: Many medications can have side-effects that are unwanted. For example, a prescription drug might cause nausea or dizziness in ... More on Medication side-effect »
- Dehydration: Dehydration is a lack of adequate fluid in the body. Dehydration is a dangerous complication of various infections, and can ... More on Dehydration »
- Alcoholism: Alcoholism is the abuse of alcohol due to a chronic addiction to alcohol. Drinking a few drinks to cope with ... More on Alcoholism »
- Hangover: Hangover is the after effects from alcohol intoxication, typically occurring in the morning following an evening of alcohol consumption. Symptoms ... More on Hangover »
- Eye Disorders: Eye disorders can involve vision disorders or physical problems with the eye. Eye disorders may also be called “Ophthalmic Disorders ... More on Eye Disorders »
- Viral Infections: Viral infections are caused by viruses, which are tiny microbes that spread in the body. Viruses are actually made up ... More on Viral Infections »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.