Hemorrhagic Rash Overview
A hemorrhagic rash is a classic sign of dangerous Meningococcal Disease. It is a particular kind of rash where the small blood vessels bleed under the skin. The start of this rash can look like little red spots (called “petechiae”), but as more bleeding under the skin occurs, the rashes become more like small areas of red rash under the skin. A hemorrhagic rash needs to be distinguished from other types of “under-skin bleeding” such as ecchymoses and purpura.
A hemorrhagic rash is a very serious type of rash, because it indicates a number of dangerous conditions, including Meningococcal Septicemia and various hemorrhagic fevers (e.g. dengue fever). Call for immediate medical assistance if Meningococcal Disease is suspected, or see your doctor immediately about a hemorrhagic rash.
- Meningococcal Disease: Meningococcal disease is a life-threatening bacterial illness, usually causing meningitis (i.e. bacterial meningitis). It is a somewhat contagious
... More on Meningococcal Disease »
- Hemorrhagic Fevers: Hemorrhagic fevers is the general class of febrile illnesses that result in a hemorrhagic rash. This is a type of rash
... More on Hemorrhagic Fevers »
- Dengue Fever: Dengue fever is a tropical mosquito-borne disease. The symptoms are primarily fever and joint pain. Although Dengue is not
... More on Dengue Fever »
- Medical Emergency Conditions: A medical emergency requires immediate professional medical care, with the calling of ambulance or other emergency services. Emergency first aid
... More on Medical Emergency Conditions »
- Rash: The causes of a rash on the skin are many. There are literally hundreds and it can take some time
... More on Rash »
- Petechiae: Petechiae, or petechial rash, is a type of capillary bleed or hemorrhagic rash that occurs from bleeding under the skin
... More on Petechiae »
- Bleeding Under Skin: Bleeding under the skin is a serious symptom that may indicate dangerous disorders (e.g. hemorrhagic rash, meningococcal disease). The
... More on Bleeding Under Skin »
- Ecchymosis: Ecchymosis is a patch of bleeding under the skin. It is similar to, but not quite the same as other
... More on Ecchymosis »
- Purpura: Purpura is a purple-ish skin rash due to blood leaking out of blood vessels under the skin. It usually
... More on Purpura »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.