Hypoactive Reflexes Overview
Hypoactive reflexes (or hyporeflexia) means absent or reduced automatic nervous reflexes. This refers to a decrease in the involuntary nervous system reflexes, and does not refer to reduced reaction time of a personís mind. Totally absent reflexes are also called areflexia.
There are many possible causes of hypoactive reflexes, which is a symptom of the nervous system. The cause of reduced reflexes include nerve disorders, neuropathies, spinal disorders (e.g. slipped disc), spinal cord disorders, brain disorders (e.g. stroke, head injury), and various systemic disorders that affect the nerves.
- Nerve Disorders: Nerve disorders may affect movement or sensations. Nerves are part of the nervous system, including the spinal cord and central nervous system
... More on Nerve Disorders »
- Neuropathy: Neuropathy is a general term for a disorder of the nerves. Neuropathy may affect many different nerve systems: peripheral neuropathy
... More on Neuropathy »
- Slipped Spinal Disc: A slipped disc in the spine is a common condition that has many other common names, such as: ruptured spinal
... More on Slipped Spinal Disc »
- Brain Disorders: A variety of brain disorders can occur, and many are very serious such as stroke or brain tumor. Any type
... More on Brain Disorders »
- Stroke: A stroke is a brain event that is a medical emergency. If you are concerned that you or someone with
... More on Stroke »
- Head injury: Head injury involves any type of injury to the head and/or brain. Any injury to the head or brain
... More on Head injury »
- Systemic Disorders: Systemic disorders is the general category of disorders and diseases where an entire body system is affected, or the entire
... More on Systemic Disorders »
- Peripheral Neuropathy: Peripheral Neuropathy is nerve damage or nerve inflammation (neuropathy) affecting the peripheral limbs, which means the arms/hands and/or
... More on Peripheral Neuropathy »
- Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Diabetic peripheral neuropathy is nerve damage (neuropathy) in the peripheral limbs (feet, hands, etc.) due to diabetes. It is a
... More on Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy »
- Cauda Equina Syndrome: Cauda Equina Syndrome is a nerve disorder affecting the nerves in the lower back. If suspected, it is a medical
... More on Cauda Equina Syndrome »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.