Knee Pain Overview
Knee pain is commonly caused by a physical injury to the knee, such as a contusion, knee sprain, knee strain, knee fracture, knee bleeding, torn meniscus, and similar knee injuries. Arthritis of various types is another common cause of knee pain, such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, Reiter’s disease, septic arthritis, and other types. Systemic disorders such as SLE, gout, pseudogout, sarcoidosis, and other diseases may cause knee pain. Also possible are bone disorders, tumors, collagen disorders, cartilage disorders, nerve disorders, and other causes. See your doctor promptly for a full diagnosis of knee pain.
- Injury: Injury, also called “trauma” in medical terms, refers to the physical injury to a body part or organ. There are ... More on Injury »
- Arthritis: Arthritis is the class of diseases causing joint inflammation. Symptoms include joint pain, joint swelling, joint redness, joint warmth, and ... More on Arthritis »
- Osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis is the main type of arthritis, which is degenerative and usually associated with aging. It is distinct from other ... More on Osteoarthritis »
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune form of arthritis, where the body’s own immune system cells attack parts of ... More on Rheumatoid Arthritis »
- Systemic Disorders: Systemic disorders is the general category of disorders and diseases where an entire body system is affected, or the entire ... More on Systemic Disorders »
- Lupus: Lupus usually refers to Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE), often abbreviated to just Lupus Erythematosus or Lupus. However, there are other ... More on Lupus »
- Gout: Gout is a disorder of acidic substances in the blood that often causes arthritis-like joint problems. The result is ... More on Gout »
- Sarcoidosis: Sarcoidosis is a chronic disease where small lumps occur in various parts of the body’s tissue or its organs ... More on Sarcoidosis »
- Nerve Disorders: Nerve disorders may affect movement or sensations. Nerves are part of the nervous system, including the spinal cord and central nervous system ... More on Nerve Disorders »
- Fractures: Fractures are broken bones in any location of the body. Almost any bone in the body can be fractured, but ... More on Fractures »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.