Nausea is that queasy feeling of sickness in the stomach. It is often related to vomiting, but can also occur without vomiting. Nausea is also closely related to appetite loss. Children may refer to nausea as a “stomachache”. A common cause of nausea is a gastrointestinal disorder such as infectious gastroenteritis, usually with additional symptoms such as vomiting, abdominal pain, and/or diarrhea. Dizziness and balance disorders can also cause nausea (e.g. motion sickness, vertigo). Nausea can sometimes indicate a life-threatening emergency, such as Appendicitis or Diabetic Ketoacidosis (and many others). Various medications also cause nausea as a side-effect. Other causes include febrile illnesses, chemical or electrolyte imbalances, endocrine disorders, heart disorders, and many other possible causes.
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: Gastrointestinal Disorders are any disorder of the stomach, intestines, or other parts of the digestive system. Common examples include gastroenteritis ... More on Gastrointestinal Disorders »
- Gastroenteritis: Gastroenteritis is a very common condition of inflammation or infection of the digestive tract. In common usage, it is often ... More on Gastroenteritis »
- Motion Sickness: Motion sickness is a feeling of nausea and vomiting caused by travel in a moving vehicle. Symptoms may result from ... More on Motion Sickness »
- Vertigo: Vertigo is the sensation that the room is spinning and of being out of balance. It is a more severe ... More on Vertigo »
- Appendicitis: Appendicitis is an inflammation or infection of the appendix, which is a small part of the digestive system. There are ... More on Appendicitis »
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis: Diabetic ketoacidosis (also called DKA) is an extremely dangerous complication of undiagnosed or poorly-controlled diabetes. Diabetes causes a build ... More on Diabetic Ketoacidosis »
- Endocrine Disorders: Endocrine disorders are those related to an endocrine gland, usually a hormone or similar substance produced by the body. They ... More on Endocrine Disorders »
- Heart Disorders: Heart disorders include many different types of diseases of the heart. Heart disease often refers to coronary heart disease, although ... More on Heart Disorders »
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy is the condition of a woman having a fetus from conception through to childbirth. The general topic of conception ... More on Pregnancy »
- Hangover: Hangover is the after effects from alcohol intoxication, typically occurring in the morning following an evening of alcohol consumption. Symptoms ... More on Hangover »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.