Pain is a very common symptom that can affect almost any region of the body. Common types of pain include headache, knee pain, foot pain, wrist pain, leg pain, toothache, eye pain, ear pain, and many other types. Pain can be acute (e.g. from injury) or there are various chronic pain syndromes. Pain may result from various body tissues: muscle pain, bone pain, joint pain, nerve pain, and other types. Pain may be caused by physical injury, infection, inflammation, nerve damage (neuropathy), chemical imbalances, endocrine disorders, or various other causes. Pain needs to be distinguished from paresthesias (tingling/numbness), muscle spasms, and other similar symptoms.
- Injury: Injury, also called “trauma” in medical terms, refers to the physical injury to a body part or organ. There are ... More on Injury »
- Chronic Pain Syndromes: Chronic Pain Syndromes refer to various disorders causing chronic pain. Common types of chronic pain include chronic back pain, chronic nerve pain ... More on Chronic Pain Syndromes »
- Neuropathy: Neuropathy is a general term for a disorder of the nerves. Neuropathy may affect many different nerve systems: peripheral neuropathy ... More on Neuropathy »
- Endocrine Disorders: Endocrine disorders are those related to an endocrine gland, usually a hormone or similar substance produced by the body. They ... More on Endocrine Disorders »
- Sciatica: Sciatica is a particular type of back pain affecting the tailbone and radiating into the buttocks and down the legs ... More on Sciatica »
- Systemic Disorders: Systemic disorders is the general category of disorders and diseases where an entire body system is affected, or the entire ... More on Systemic Disorders »
- Inflammatory disorders: Inflammatory disorders are those that cause inflammation within the body. There are various types of anti-inflammatory medications (e.g ... More on Inflammatory disorders »
- Fractures: Fractures are broken bones in any location of the body. Almost any bone in the body can be fractured, but ... More on Fractures »
- Arthritis: Arthritis is the class of diseases causing joint inflammation. Symptoms include joint pain, joint swelling, joint redness, joint warmth, and ... More on Arthritis »
- Slipped Spinal Disc: A slipped disc in the spine is a common condition that has many other common names, such as: ruptured spinal ... More on Slipped Spinal Disc »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.