Paresthesia is the general name for abnormal sensations. People use a variety of terms for these sensations, such as: tingling, burning sensations, numbness, pins-and-needles, nerve-type pain, prickling, creeping, etc. The cause is usually a nerve disorder, which may include a local nerve problem (e.g. nerve entrapment), a spinal disorder, a brain disorder, or a variety of systemic, chemical or metabolic disorders that affect nerves. The exact causes depend on the location of the sensations, but there are several disorders that may cause paresthesias in many locations.
- Nerve Disorders: Nerve disorders may affect movement or sensations. Nerves are part of the nervous system, including the spinal cord and central nervous system ... More on Nerve Disorders »
- Brain Disorders: A variety of brain disorders can occur, and many are very serious such as stroke or brain tumor. Any type ... More on Brain Disorders »
- Metabolic Disorders: Metabolic disorder are disorders or diseases due to an abnormal metabolism. For example, diabetes is a metabolic disorder with an ... More on Metabolic Disorders »
- Neuropathy: Neuropathy is a general term for a disorder of the nerves. Neuropathy may affect many different nerve systems: peripheral neuropathy ... More on Neuropathy »
- Head injury: Head injury involves any type of injury to the head and/or brain. Any injury to the head or brain ... More on Head injury »
- Concussion: Concussion is a brain injury causing a temporary loss of consciousness. The usual cause is a brain or head injury ... More on Concussion »
- Brain tumor: A brain tumor may indicate a benign tumor in the brain or some form of malignant brain cancer. It is ... More on Brain tumor »
- Stroke: A stroke is a brain event that is a medical emergency. If you are concerned that you or someone with ... More on Stroke »
- Transient Ischemic Attack: Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA), also called a mini-stroke, occurs where a person has all the symptoms of a stroke ... More on Transient Ischemic Attack »
- Migraine: Migraine refers to a chronic headache condition, which usually recurs over time. Migraines vary with people, ranging from a headache ... More on Migraine »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.