The causes of a rash on the skin are many. There are literally hundreds and it can take some time for a doctor to consider them all. Many different infections cause some type of rash, such as roseola, measles, chicken pox, parvovirus, and many others. A blistering pustular rash may be caused by various skin conditions, such as boils, folliculitis, acne, rosacea, shingles, and many others. Harmless causes may include things like a reaction to some plant you accidentally rubbed against in the garden (dermatitis). But there are also severe diseases that must be ruled out, such as a hemorrhagic rash that occurs in meningococcal disease (which is a medical emergency). Another possible cause of a rash is a side-effect of a medication that you may be taking. A rash needs to be differentiated against other similar symptoms such as facial redness (e.g. flushing), bruises, insect bites, cysts, warts, sunburns, chilblains, and various other causes of skin discolorations.
- Roseola Infantum: Roseola Infantum, often just called Roseola, is an infectious disease affecting babies and young children. Typical symptoms are “rash after ... More on Roseola Infantum »
- Measles: Measles is an infectious virus that has become uncommon due to vaccination. Its early symptoms are similar to many other ... More on Measles »
- Chicken Pox: Chicken pox, also called varicella, is an infectious viral disease with a characteristic rash. Although vaccination programs exist, it still ... More on Chicken Pox »
- Boils: Boils, also called “furuncles”, are bacterial skin infections resulting from an infected hair follicle or skin gland infection. The infectious bacteria ... More on Boils »
- Acne: Acne, or “acne vulgaris” for its proper medical name, is a chronic skin disorder. Typical symptoms include whiteheads, blackheads, and ... More on Acne »
- Rosacea: Rosacea is a chronic skin disorder usually affecting mainly the face (specifically the nose and cheeks). It causes redness, pimples ... More on Rosacea »
- Shingles: Shingles, also known as Herpes Zoster, is a complication of the nerves caused by infection with Chickenpox earlier in life ... More on Shingles »
- Dermatitis: Dermatitis is a general medical term referring to any inflammation of the skin. Diagnosis and treatment usually requires a more ... More on Dermatitis »
- Meningococcal Disease: Meningococcal disease is a life-threatening bacterial illness, usually causing meningitis (i.e. bacterial meningitis). It is a somewhat contagious ... More on Meningococcal Disease »
- Medical Emergency Conditions: A medical emergency requires immediate professional medical care, with the calling of ambulance or other emergency services. Emergency first aid ... More on Medical Emergency Conditions »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.