Tingling is a nerve sensation symptom that can affect various body areas. Common types are tingling toes and tingling fingers, but almost any area can be affected. The medical term for this type of symptom is paresthesia, which may describe sensation changes ranging from numbness to severe pain-like sensations. Tingling may be related to numbness or partial numbness. Other commonly used descriptions include burning sensations, creeping or crawling sensations, pins-and-needles, and so on. Tingling is usually a type of nerve pain and must be distinguished from other types of pain. Many different causes of tingling are possible, ranging from nerve disorders (causing neuropathy) such as peripheral neuropathy, nerve entrapment disorders, multiple sclerosis, diabetes (undiagnosed or poorly controlled), infections (e.g. shingles) and many other possible causes depending on the location and other symptoms. Any tingling symptom needs prompt professional medical diagnosis.
- Nerve Disorders: Nerve disorders may affect movement or sensations. Nerves are part of the nervous system, including the spinal cord and central nervous system ... More on Nerve Disorders »
- Neuropathy: Neuropathy is a general term for a disorder of the nerves. Neuropathy may affect many different nerve systems: peripheral neuropathy ... More on Neuropathy »
- Peripheral Neuropathy: Peripheral Neuropathy is nerve damage or nerve inflammation (neuropathy) affecting the peripheral limbs, which means the arms/hands and/or ... More on Peripheral Neuropathy »
- Multiple Sclerosis: Multiple Sclerosis (often called just “MS”) is a disease of the spinal cord and nerves. The cause is an attack ... More on Multiple Sclerosis »
- Diabetes: Diabetes is a metabolic disease where the body loses the ability to properly process sugars (glucose). The full medical name ... More on Diabetes »
- Shingles: Shingles, also known as Herpes Zoster, is a complication of the nerves caused by infection with Chickenpox earlier in life ... More on Shingles »
- Tingling Fingers: A tingling feeling in the fingers refers to that kind of burning sensation, half-numbness, sometimes called "pins-and-needles ... More on Tingling Fingers »
- Paresthesias: Paresthesia is the general name for abnormal sensations. People use a variety of terms for these sensations, such as: tingling ... More on Paresthesias »
- Numbness: Numbness is the loss of nerve sensation in a region. Total numbness is the complete loss of sensation, but also ... More on Numbness »
- Pain: Pain is a very common symptom that can affect almost any region of the body. Common types of pain include ... More on Pain »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.