Vomiting, also called emesis, is a very common symptom. It is often related to nausea and commonly caused by a digestive disorder such as infectious gastroenteritis. Vomiting needs to be distinguished from regurgitation, reflux, and other similar symptoms.
There are various causes of vomiting that need to be diagnosed; see your doctor for a full diagnosis. Causes include gastrointestinal disorders, infections, chemical imbalances, endocrine disorders, balance disorders, liver disorders, and many others. Vomiting itself can cause serious complications such as aspiration of vomit (choking on vomit), dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.
- Common Diseases: There are many different common diseases. Everyone knows about the common infectious respiratory diseases such as: common cold, flu, croup
... More on Common Diseases »
- Gastroenteritis: Gastroenteritis is a very common condition of inflammation or infection of the digestive tract. In common usage, it is often
... More on Gastroenteritis »
- Reflux: Reflux is the regurgitation of stomach contents into the mouth (acid reflux), usually along with a particular type of epigastric
... More on Reflux »
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: Gastrointestinal Disorders are any disorder of the stomach, intestines, or other parts of the digestive system. Common examples include gastroenteritis
... More on Gastrointestinal Disorders »
- Endocrine Disorders: Endocrine disorders are those related to an endocrine gland, usually a hormone or similar substance produced by the body. They
... More on Endocrine Disorders »
- Liver Disorders: The liver is a large organ that can have various disorders. Infection or inflammation of the liver is called hepatitis
... More on Liver Disorders »
- Dehydration: Dehydration is a lack of adequate fluid in the body. Dehydration is a dangerous complication of various infections, and can
... More on Dehydration »
- GERD: GERD, or Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease, is chronic disorder of recurring episodes of reflux and heartburn. Symptoms include chronic reflux
... More on GERD »
- Esophagitis: Esophagitis is an inflammation of the esophagus, which is the tube from the throat to the stomach, also called the
... More on Esophagitis »
- Gastric Motility Disorders: Gastric Motility Disorders are diseases where the stomach and intestines have slower motion (motility) of digested food. The result is
... More on Gastric Motility Disorders »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.