Weight Loss Overview
Losing weight is not really a medical symptom if it is explained by lifestyle changes. That means you’re eating less, eating better foods, or exercising more. Changes to appetite can also cause weight loss, and can be the cause of disease (see “poor appetite”). Another common cause would be various infections, such as a virus, which lead to weight loss during the illness, but there are usually other symptoms such as fever. If none of these is the case, or if the weight loss is sudden, then it is “unexplained weight loss”. Unexplained weight loss can be the symptom of a variety of disorders, such as diabetes, thyroid disease, and various others. See your doctor for a diagnosis of unexplained weight loss.
- Viral Infections: Viral infections are caused by viruses, which are tiny microbes that spread in the body. Viruses are actually made up ... More on Viral Infections »
- Diabetes: Diabetes is a metabolic disease where the body loses the ability to properly process sugars (glucose). The full medical name ... More on Diabetes »
- Thyroid Disease: Thyroid disease refers to any disease of the thyroid gland, which is an important gland in regulating the body’s ... More on Thyroid Disease »
- Dehydration: Dehydration is a lack of adequate fluid in the body. Dehydration is a dangerous complication of various infections, and can ... More on Dehydration »
- Failure to Thrive: Failure to Thrive refers to when an infant fails to gain weight and continue on the usual growth path. It ... More on Failure to Thrive »
- Malabsorption Disorders: Malabsorption refers to a lack of absorption of nutrients in the digestive system. This can cause general malnutrition, pernicious anemia ... More on Malabsorption Disorders »
- Depression: Depression occurs when someone has feelings such as sadness, unhappiness or misery for an extended period of time. Most people ... More on Depression »
- Esophagus Disorders: Esophagus disorders are disorders affecting the esophagus, which is the tube from the back of the throat down into the ... More on Esophagus Disorders »
- Esophagitis: Esophagitis is an inflammation of the esophagus, which is the tube from the throat to the stomach, also called the ... More on Esophagitis »
- Stomatitis: Stomatitis is a mouth inflammation affecting the membranes of the mouth. Symptoms include sore mouth, mouth ulcers, bad breath (breath odor) ... More on Stomatitis »
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.